A Picnic With God (#365)

I am inside San Juan Bautista Mission church, sitting in a pew toward the back of the church.  The air is cool and still and dimly lit with golden afternoon light filtering through high windows.  Franciscan chants weave their holy way down the long corridor outside.

A book has accompanied me here, Pastures of Heaven by John Steinbeck.  Along with two rather small pastries from the town bakery in a little white sack and a bottle of water.

After a bit, it seems fitting to kneel and read my book as though reading from a prayerbook. Occasional tourists meander in.  They walk up and down the aisles then back out. I am left to my reading.

The story begins in 1776 with a Spanish soldier and his horse chasing some runaway Indian slaves over the nearby hills of Salinas.  At the top of one hill, looking out over the numerous rolling hills beyond with great green pastures, he called them “pastos del cielo,” pastures of heaven.

I sit down again on the old, creaky, brown pew and eye the little white sack.  Inside, I draw out a glazed creme-filled puff.  As I take a small bite, I think “my God, the only thing I ever ate in church before was the Communion wafer.”

Feeling ever so peaceful and connected to this otherworldly realm, I continue to eat my pastry  and enjoy my little picnic with God.

Ever Grateful ~  Annie

ps. Thank you, Amber, for the wonderful and apt title!

picnic

15 Responses to A Picnic With God (#365)

So peaceful

2. Leya says:

This is a truly peaceful contemplation – and humorous too. I can feel the light and hear them singing. Thank you for sharing this moment.

• It all made for a most memorable experience. One that I can call up at any time. Isn’t that what our lives are all about!

• Leya says:

You are so right. And I believe you manage to live like that – taking care of the moments. I only manage that during vacations – and only after a couple of weeks…And I have to be alone or with my dog.

3. Lucy and Jerry David says:

What a great experience, I’m sure God enjoyed the picnic also.

4. Connie T says:

I like the pictures. I love cream puffs. I always get them at buffets when I go. There are lots of them at casinos. You should come to Reno. They have an Amazon and they are building a new Amazon here in Reno. If you ever do come here, let me know and I will take you to a buffet.

5. What a wonderful offer, Connie! You made my day! When I get to Reno, I will take you up on the offer!

6. Edge of Chic says:

Your words transported me to your moment of serenity. I felt like I was there with you! Nice title btw, lol!

7. Amber says:

Pushing the boundaries society has set. Your use of imagery makes me feel like I am traveling with you on this journey. I will follow the trails you blaze. My love, my inspiration, my mother.

8. Okay….Now you’re getting me teary-eyed and missing you all so much more! Thank you, dear Amber!

9. I can just sense the calmness and the coolness of the air in church compared to the heat outside. Such a lovely looking building with simple artwork/decoration.

• Travels need to have interludes like this one. To sit and gather one’s thoughts, experience an enrichment of the senses, enjoy peace and solitude. A feeling I will always remember.
      Thank you, JD.