How To Pretend You Have Brake Lights When You Don’t (#243)

After a two day journey I arrived safely at Philpott Lake in southwestern Virginia.  But what a harrowing experience getting here.

Somewhere between Columbia, South Carolina and Charlotte, North Carolina all my rear lights went out on the RV.  No tail lights, no brake lights, no running lights!

My turn signals stayed on solid, no blinking and the hazards blinked very slowly.  But Holy Mother of Pearl I still had headlights, as dusk was upon me.

Stopped at the North Carolina Visitor Center just minutes before they closed.  Got the name of a campground, VanHoy Farms RV just a quarter mile off  Interstate 77 but only after another 65 miles.

I figured out how to “pretend” I had brake lights by turning on the hazards when nearing a stop sign.  For “blinking” turn signals I’d keep moving the turn arm back and forth.

Rain storms were following me as I got back onto the highway.  After a couple of rush hour standstills I made it.  In near dark I found a site and parked for the night.

Next morning I drove another 100 miles and into the Volunteer Village at Philpott Lake.  What a welcome sight!

Love,

Annie

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to How To Pretend You Have Brake Lights When You Don’t (#243)

1. rosebud1 says:

Annie, do be safe.

• Thank you, Teresa! Safety is always my main concern. I am most grateful to the wonderful travelers out there on our highways who are not only defensive drivers but considerate of fellow travelers.

What ingenuity on your part – amazing what you can do and what you think of when you have to. Glad you made it safely. Hope they are all up and running now. At least you are there safe and sound and beginning a new adventure.

3. Gia Bokeko says:

happy to hear you made it to your destination safe  ~

________________________________

4. Miz.Chellie says:

I never thought of that. I didn’t know my brake lights went out and I had noticed that people were beeping me when making turns. Finally someone told me (they actually followed me until I stopped) and I got it fixed right away. Turns out both were out. If it ever happens again, I will certain employ the hazard lights trick!

5. Arianna says:

Thank goodness you made it safe! Hope all will be well soon!

6. Patti Kuche says:

Well done Annie for making the best of a bad situation – we often don’t realise just how dark it is out on the road until those lights play up. Hope you get it repaired soon and stay safe!